- The definition of sincere is true or honest.
An example of sincere is a friend who helps you without an expectation of you doing something for them in return.
- without deceit, pretense, or hypocrisy; truthful; straightforward; honest: sincere in his desire to help
- being the same in actual character as in outward appearance; genuine; real: sincere grief
- Archaic not adulterated: sincere wine
- Obsolete uninjured; whole
Origin: MFr sincére from Classical Latin sincerus, clean, pure, sincere
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
adjective sin·cer·er, sin·cer·est
- Not feigned or affected; genuine: sincere indignation.
- Being without hypocrisy or pretense; true: a sincere friend.
- Archaic Pure; unadulterated.
Origin: Latin sincērus; see ker-2 in Indo-European roots.
- sin·cereˈly adverb
- sin·cereˈness noun