A bowl of breakfast cereal.
- An example of a cereal is wheat.
- An example of a breakfast cereal is Cheerios.
The definition of cereal is a grain, or a breakfast food made from roasted grains and usually eaten with milk.
of grain or the grasses producing grain
Origin of cereal; from Classical Latin Cerealis, of Ceres, goddess of agriculture ; from Indo-European base an unverified form ?er-, an unverified form ?r?-, to grow: see create
- any grain used for food, as wheat, oats, or rice
- any grass producing such grain
- ⌂ food made from grain, esp. breakfast food, as oatmeal or cornflakes
- a. A grass such as wheat, oats, or corn, the starchy grains of which are used as food.b. The grain of such a grass.
- Any of several other plants or their edible seeds or fruit, such as buckwheat or certain species of amaranth.
- A food prepared from any of these plants, especially a breakfast food made from commercially processed grain.
Consisting of or relating to grain or to a plant producing grain.
Origin of cerealFrom Latin cerealis, of grain, from Cer&emacron;s, Ceres; see ker-2 in Indo-European roots.
(usually uncountable, plural cereals)