A bowl of breakfast cereal.
- An example of a cereal is wheat.
- An example of a breakfast cereal is Cheerios.
The definition of cereal is a grain, or a breakfast food made from roasted grains and usually eaten with milk.
of grain or the grasses producing grain
Origin of cerealfrom Classical Latin Cerealis, of Ceres, goddess of agriculture from Indo-European base an unverified form ?er-, an unverified form ?r?-, to grow: see create
- any grain used for food, as wheat, oats, or rice
- any grass producing such grain
- food made from grain, esp. breakfast food, as oatmeal or cornflakes
- a. A grass such as wheat, oats, or corn, the starchy grains of which are used as food.b. The grain of such a grass.
- Any of several other plants or their edible seeds or fruit, such as buckwheat or certain species of amaranth.
- A food prepared from any of these plants, especially a breakfast food made from commercially processed grain.
Consisting of or relating to grain or to a plant producing grain.
Origin of cerealFrom Latin cereālis of grain from Cerēs Ceres ; see ker-2 in Indo-European roots.
(usually uncountable, plural cereals)