sin binsin bin
(plural sin bins)
- (sports) An area where players are temporarily confined while suspended from play following an infringement of the rules of the game.
- (figuratively) A place for transgressors, a limbo; a place of confinement or self-isolation after (in order to avert) transgressions; a state of disgrace.
- (US, Australia, colloquial) A panel van with a bed installed in the back.
(third-person singular simple present sin bins, present participle sin binning, simple past and past participle sin binned)
- (sports, usually in passive voice) to send a player off temporarily following an infringement of a rule in a game
Apparently Australian. Usage of the panel van sense is influenced by the US trade name.
- Alternative form of sin bin.
(third-person singular simple present sin-bins, present participle sin-binning, simple past and past participle sin-binned)
- (sports) To send (a player) to the sin bin, to temporarily dismiss from the playing field.