- The definition of facile is something that uses little effort or is easy to do.
An example of facile is winning a game against a team that isn't very good.
- not hard to do or achieve; easy
- acting, working, or done easily, or in a quick, smooth way; fluent; ready: a facile wit
- using or showing little effort and not sincere or profound; superficial: a facile solution, facile emotions
- Now Rare easy to influence or persuade; affable
Origin: French ; from Classical Latin facilis ; from facere, do
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Done or achieved with little effort or difficulty; easy. See Synonyms at easy.
- Working, acting, or speaking with effortless ease and fluency.
- Arrived at without due care, effort, or examination; superficial: proposed a facile solution to a complex problem.
- Readily manifested, together with an aura of insincerity and lack of depth: a facile slogan devised by politicians.
- Archaic Pleasingly mild, as in disposition or manner.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin facilis; see dhē- in Indo-European roots.
- facˈile·ly adverb
- facˈile·ness noun