- The definition of laborious is something that requires a lot of work and that is often tedious or difficult.
- Building a house is an example of a process that would be described as laborious.
- Reading a badly written essay that lacks in fluency is an example of a task that would be described as laborious.
- involving or calling for much hard work; difficult
- industrious; hardworking
Origin: Middle English from Old French laborios from Classical Latin laboriosus from labor, labor
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Marked by or requiring long, hard work: spent many laborious hours on the project.
- Hard-working; industrious.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French laborieux, from Latin labōriōsus, from labor, labor.
- la·boˈri·ous·ly adverb
- la·boˈri·ous·ness noun