- The definition of arduous is a way of describing something that is extremely tiring and difficult.
The John Beargrease Sled Dog Marathon is an example of an arduous race.
- Arduous is defined as a sharp, high climb where reaching the top is a challenge.
Mt. Everest is an example of an arduous incline.
- difficult to do; laborious; onerous
- using much energy; strenuous
- steep; hard to climb
Origin: Classical Latin arduus, steep ; from Indo-European an unverified form er(ə)dh-, high, to grow (from source Classical Latin arbor, tree) ; from base an unverified form er-, to set inch(es) motion, run
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Demanding great effort or labor; difficult: “the arduous work of preparing a Dictionary of the English Language” (Thomas Macaulay).
- Testing severely the powers of endurance; strenuous: a long, arduous, and exhausting war.
- Hard to traverse, climb, or surmount. See Synonyms at burdensome, hard.
Origin: From Latin arduus, high, steep.
- arˈdu·ous·ly adverb
- arˈdu·ous·ness noun