- Arduous is defined as a sharp, high climb where reaching the top is a challenge.
Mt. Everest is an example of an arduous incline.
- The definition of arduous is a way of describing something that is extremely tiring and difficult.
The John Beargrease Sled Dog Marathon is an example of an arduous race.
Mt. Everest would be an arduous climb.
arduous definition by Webster's New World
- difficult to do; laborious; onerous
- using much energy; strenuous
- steep; hard to climb
Origin: Classical Latin arduus, steep ; from Indo-European an unverified form er(ə)dh-, high, to grow (from source Classical Latin arbor, tree) ; from base an unverified form er-, to set in motion, run
arduous definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Demanding great effort or labor; difficult: “the arduous work of preparing a Dictionary of the English Language” (Thomas Macaulay).
- Testing severely the powers of endurance; strenuous: a long, arduous, and exhausting war.
- Hard to traverse, climb, or surmount. See Synonyms at burdensome, hard.
Origin: From Latin arduus, high, steep.
- arˈdu·ous·ly adverb
- arˈdu·ous·ness noun