Mt. Everest would be an arduous climb.
- Arduous is defined as a sharp, high climb where reaching the top is a challenge.
Mt. Everest is an example of an arduous incline.
- The definition of arduous is a way of describing something that is extremely tiring and difficult.
The John Beargrease Sled Dog Marathon is an example of an arduous race.
- difficult to do; laborious; onerous
- using much energy; strenuous
- steep; hard to climb
Origin of arduousClassical Latin arduus, steep ; from Indo-European an unverified form er(?)dh-, high, to grow (from source Classical Latin arbor, tree) ; from base an unverified form er-, to set in motion, run
- Demanding great effort or labor; difficult: “the arduous work of preparing a Dictionary of the English Language” (Thomas Macaulay).
- Testing severely the powers of endurance; strenuous: a long, arduous, and exhausting war.
- Hard to traverse, climb, or surmount.
Origin of arduousFrom Latin arduus, high, steep.
(comparative more arduous, superlative most arduous)