- The definition of an area is a specific extent of land or space.
A football field, a parking lot and a living room floor are each an example of an area.
This area is called a living room.
- a level surface or piece of ground
- a part of the earth's surface; region; tract
- the measure of a bounded region on a plane or of the surface of a solid
- a yard of a building
- a part of a house, lot, district, city, etc. having a specific use or character: dining area, play area, commercial area
- a part of any surface, as of an organism, or a particular zone, as of the cerebral cortex
- scope or extent, as of an operation
Origin of areaClassical Latin vacant place, courtyard, probably (in sense “arid, bare place”) ; from arere, to be dry: see ash
- A roughly bounded part of the space on a surface; a region: a farming area; the New York area.
- A surface, especially an open, unoccupied piece of ground: a landing area; a playing area.
- A distinct part or section, as of a building, set aside for a specific function: a storage area in the basement.
- A division of experience, activity, or knowledge; a field: studies in the area of finance; a job in the health-care area.
- An open, sunken space next to a building; an areaway.
- Abbr. A The extent of a planar region or of the surface of a solid measured in square units.
Origin of areaLatin ārea, open space; possibly akin to ārēre, to be dry; see arid.
To calculate the area of a rectangle, multiply the length by the width. The area of this rectangle is 50 square feet.
(plural areas or areæ)
- (mathematics) A measure of the extent of a surface; it is measured in square units.
- A particular geographic region.
- Any particular extent of surface, especially an empty or unused extent.
- The photo is a little dark in that area.
- Figuratively, any extent, scope or range of an object or concept.
- The plans are a bit vague in that area. My guts are a bit sore in that area.
- (UK) An open space, below ground level, between the front of a house and the pavement.
- (soccer) Penalty box; penalty area.
- (slang) Genitals.
From Latin area.