alien[āl′yən, āl′ē ən]
- Alien means different, generally to the point of incompatibility.
The idea of multiple gods is an example of something that is alien to many monotheistic people.
- The definition of alien is residing in a country without having residency there.
A person living in Ireland without having citizenship there is alien.
- Alien is defined as a resident from another country who does not have citizenship in the country of residence.
A person from the United States living in Italy without citizenship is an example of an alien.
- belonging to another country or people; foreign
- strange; not natural: cruel words alien to his lips
- opposed or repugnant: beliefs alien to one's religion
- of aliens
Origin of alienMiddle English and amp; Old French ; from Classical Latin alienus ; from alius, other: see else
- a foreigner
- a foreign-born resident in a country who has not become a naturalized citizen
- an outsider
- in science fiction, a being in or from outer space and not native to the Earth; extraterrestrial
Origin of alienME alienen < OFr aliener < L alienare
- Owing political allegiance to another country or government; foreign: alien residents.
- Belonging to, characteristic of, or constituting another and very different place, society, or person; strange. See Synonyms at foreign.
- Dissimilar, inconsistent, or opposed, as in nature: emotions alien to her temperament.
- An unnaturalized foreign resident of a country. Also called noncitizen.
- A person from another and very different family, people, or place.
- A person who is not included in a group; an outsider.
- A creature from outer space: science fiction about an invasion of aliens.
- Ecology An organism, especially a plant or animal, that occurs in or is naturalized in a region to which it is not native.
transitive verba·li·ened, a·li·en·ing, a·li·ens Law
Origin of alienMiddle English, from Old French, from Latin aliēnus, from alius, other; see al-1 in Indo-European roots.
- space alien
(comparative more alien, superlative most alien)
(third-person singular simple present aliens, present participle aliening, simple past and past participle aliened)
alien - Legal Definition
- One who is not a citizen, national, or subject of a particular country.
- One who is not a citizen, national, or subject of the country in which he resides.
- One who is born in or owes his allegiance to a foreign country.
- An alien who enters or remains in the United States without legal authorization or by fraud.
- An alien who marries an American citizen, but with no intention of living with his or her spouse as husband and wife, for the purpose of improperly entering the United States or avoiding deportation.