- The definition of a citizen is a person born in a place or a naturalized resident.
An example of a citizen is a person born in the United States.
citizen definition by Webster's New World
- Historical a native or inhabitant, esp. a freeman or burgess, of a town or city
- a native, inhabitant, or denizen of any place: citizens of the deep
- a member of a state or nation, esp. one with a republican form of government, who owes allegiance to it by birth or naturalization and is entitled to full civil rights
- a civilian, as distinguished from a person in military service, a policeman, etc.
Origin: Middle English and amp; Anglo-French citizein, altered (? influenced, influence by denizen) ; from Old French citeain ; from cité: see city; citizensense influenced, influence by use of French citoyen during the French Revolution
citizen definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A person owing loyalty to and entitled by birth or naturalization to the protection of a state or nation.
- A resident of a city or town, especially one entitled to vote and enjoy other privileges there.
- A civilian.
- A native, inhabitant, or denizen of a particular place: “We have learned to be citizens of the world, members of the human community” (Franklin D. Roosevelt).
Origin: Middle English citisein, from Anglo-Norman citesein, alteration (perhaps influenced by dainzain, denizen) of Old French citeain, from cite, city; see city.
- citˈi·zen·ly adjective
citizen - Legal Definition
- A person who, due to place of birth, naturalization, or other reasons (for example, citizenship of parents) is a member of a political community or of a civil state, such as a country or state, and is entitled to all the civil rights and protections thereof and owes allegiance to its government. See also naturalization and resident.
- For purpose of federal diversity of citizenship lawsuits, a corporation that is incorporated or has its principal place of business in a state, or an alien granted permanent residence in the United States and residing in a state, is a citizen of that state.