This is the national flag of the United States of America.
- The definition of national is relating to a particular country.
An example of national used as an adjective is the phrase "national flag" which means the flag of a specific country.
- National is defined as a citizen of a specific country.
An example of a national is a German citizen.
- of or having to do with a nation or the nation
- affecting a (or the) nation as a whole; nationwide in scope, involvement, representation, etc.
- patriotic or nationalist
- established, maintained, or owned by the federal government: a national park
Origin of nationalFrench
- a person under the protection of a (specified) country: citizen or subject
- the national headquarters or administration of an organization
- a competition in which participants compete for a nationwide ranking, title, championship, etc.
- a. Of, relating to, or characteristic of a nation: a national anthem.b. Of or relating to nationality: their national origin.
- Of or maintained by the government of a nation: a national landmark.
- Devoted to one's own nation or its interests; patriotic.
- A citizen of a particular nation: a British national.
- often nationals A contest or tournament involving participants from all parts of a nation.
(comparative more national, superlative most national)
See nation for notes regarding the usage of national to refer to the UK and its member states.