- The definition of national is relating to a particular country.
An example of national used as an adjective is the phrase "national flag" which means the flag of a specific country.
- National is defined as a citizen of a specific country.
An example of a national is a German citizen.
This is the national flag of the United States of America.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- of or having to do with a nation or the nation
- affecting a (or the) nation as a whole; nationwide in scope, involvement, representation, etc.
- patriotic or nationalist
- established, maintained, or owned by the federal government: a national park
- a person under the protection of a (specified) country: citizen or subject
- the national headquarters or administration of an organization
- a competition in which participants compete for a nationwide ranking, title, championship, etc.
- nationally adverb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Of, relating to, or belonging to a nation as an organized whole: a national anthem.
- Of or relating to nationality: their national origin.
- Characteristic of or peculiar to the people of a nation: a national trait.
- Of or maintained by the government of a nation: a national landmark.
- Being in the interest of one's own nation: Isolationism is a strictly national policy.
- Devoted to one's own nation or its interests; patriotic.
- A citizen of a particular nation. See Synonyms at citizen.
- A contest or tournament involving participants from all parts of a nation. Often used in the plural.
- naˈtion·al·ly adverb