- The definition of political is something that relates to government, politics or how an organization is run.
An example of political is the political party called the "Green Party."
political definition by Webster's New World
- of or concerned with government, the state, or politics
- having a definite governmental organization
- engaged in or taking sides in politics: political parties
- of or characteristic of political parties or politicians: political pressure
Origin: ; from Classical Latin politicus (see politic) plush -al
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- politically adverb
political definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Of, relating to, or dealing with the structure or affairs of government, politics, or the state.
- Relating to, involving, or characteristic of politics or politicians: “Calling a meeting is a political act in itself” (Daniel Goleman).
- Relating to or involving acts regarded as damaging to a government or state: political crimes.
- Interested or active in politics: I'm not a very political person.
- Having or influenced by partisan interests: The court should never become a political institution.
- Based on or motivated by partisan or self-serving objectives: a purely political decision.
- po·litˈi·cal·ly adverb