The definition of politic is someone who is shrewd, tactful or unethical.adjective
An example of politic is a decision made because it it likely to be accepted by the voters and will make the politician more popular; a politic decision.
Politic is defined as to participate in campaigning.verb
An example of politic is to run for office.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- political: archaic except in body politic
- having practical wisdom; prudent; shrewd; diplomatic
- crafty; unscrupulous
- prudently or artfully contrived; expedient, as a plan, action, remark, etc.
Origin: ME polytyk < MFr politique < L politicus < Gr politikos, of a citizen < politēs: see police
- politicly adverb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Using or marked by prudence, expedience, and shrewdness; artful.
- Using, displaying, or proceeding from policy; judicious: a politic decision.
- Crafty; cunning.
Origin: Middle English politik, from Old French politique, from Latin polīticus, political, from Greek polītikos, from polītēs, citizen, from polis, city; see pelə-3 in Indo-European roots.
- polˈi·tic·ly adverb