calculating definition by Webster's New World
- shrewd or cunning, esp. in a selfish way; scheming
- performing calculations
calculating definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Capable of performing calculations: a calculating machine.
- a. Shrewd; crafty: the calculating defense of an experienced attorney.b. Coldly scheming or conniving.
- calˈcu·latˌing·ly adverb
Variant of calculate
- to determine by using mathematics; compute
- to reckon or determine by reasoning, evaluating, etc.; estimate; judge
- to plan or intend for a purpose: a tale calculated to mislead us
- Dialectal to think, suppose, guess, etc.
- ☆ Dialectal to have in mind (to go, do, etc.); intend
Origin: ; from Classical Latin calculatus, past participle of calculare, to reckon ; from calculus, pebble, stone used in doing arithmetic, diminutive of calx, limestone: see calcium
- to make a computation
- to rely or depend (on)