An example of thinking is when someone takes the time to work out a problem in their head.
- that thinks or can think; rational
- given to thought; reflective
put on one's thinking cap
- The act or practice of one that thinks; thought.
- A way of reasoning; judgment: To my thinking, this is not a good idea.
- Present participle of think.
- I'm thinking about inventing a new perpetual-motion machine.
Variant of think
transitive verbthought, thinking
- to form or have in the mind; conceive: thinking good thoughts
- to hold in one's opinion; judge; consider: many think her charming
- to believe; surmise; expect: they think they can come
- to determine, resolve, work out, etc. by reasoning: think what your next move should be
- Now Rare to purpose; intend: thinking to do right
- to bring to mind; form an idea of: think what the future holds
- to recall; recollect: think what joy was ours
- to have the mind turned steadily toward; have constantly in mind: think success
Origin of think; from Middle English thenchen, to think, confused with thinchen, to seem ; from Old English thencan ; from Proto-Germanic an unverified form thankjan, to think: for Indo-European base see thank
- to use the mind for arriving at conclusions, making decisions, drawing inferences, etc.; reflect; reason: learn to think
- to have an opinion, belief, expectation, etc.: I just think so
- to weigh something mentally; reflect: think before you act
- to call to mind; recall; remember: with of or about
- to have an opinion, judgment, etc.: with of or about
- to allow oneself to consider: with of or about
- to have regard for; consider the welfare of: with of or about
- to discover or invent; conceive (of)
think (all) the world of
think better of
- to form a more favorable opinion of
- to make a more sensible or practical decision about, after reconsidering
think little ofor think nothing of
- to attach little (or no) importance, value, etc. to
- to have little (or no) hesitancy about
think nothing of it!
think on (or upon)
- to think about completely or to the end
- to work out, solve, discover, or plan by thinking
think out loud