A pensive woman.
- The definition of pensive is feeling sad while deep in thought.
An example of pensive is how one feels after reading a depressing novel.
- thinking deeply or seriously, often of sad or melancholy things
- expressing deep thoughtfulness, often with some sadness
Origin of pensiveMiddle English pensif ; from Old French ; from penser, to think, reflect ; from Classical Latin pensare, to weigh, consider, frequentative of pendere, to ponder, weigh, hang: see pendant
- Engaged in deep and serious thought.
- Showing or expressing deep, often melancholy thought: a pensive look.
Origin of pensiveMiddle English pensif, from Old French, from penser, to think, from Latin pēnsāre, frequentative of pendere, to weigh; see (s)pen- in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more pensive, superlative most pensive)