- The definition of pensive is feeling sad while deep in thought.
An example of pensive is how one feels after reading a depressing novel.
pensive definition by Webster's New World
- thinking deeply or seriously, often of sad or melancholy things
- expressing deep thoughtfulness, often with some sadness
Origin: Middle English pensif ; from Old French ; from penser, to think, reflect ; from Classical Latin pensare, to weigh, consider, frequentative of pendere, to ponder, weigh, hang: see pendant
pensive definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Deeply, often wistfully or dreamily thoughtful.
- Suggestive or expressive of melancholy thoughtfulness.
Origin: Middle English pensif, from Old French, from penser, to think, from Latin pēnsāre, frequentative of pendere, to weigh; see (s)pen- in Indo-European roots.
- penˈsive·ly adverb
- penˈsive·ness noun