- The definition of ignorant is something or someone lacking in knowledge, or is stupid or rude.
- An example of ignorant is a person who is has no knowledge of politics.
- An example of ignorant is a dumb person with no knowledge about anything.
- An example of ignorant is impolite behavior that goes against the standard custom of proper manners.
- having little knowledge, education, or experience; uneducated; inexperienced
- lacking knowledge (in a particular area or matter)
- caused by or showing lack of knowledge or education
- unaware (of)
Origin: OFr from Classical Latin ignorans, present participle of ignorare: see ignore
- ignorantly adverb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Lacking education or knowledge.
- Showing or arising from a lack of education or knowledge: an ignorant mistake.
- Unaware or uninformed.
Origin: Middle English ignoraunt, from Old French ignorant, from Latin ignōrāns, ignōrant-, present participle of ignōrāre, to be ignorant, not to know; see gnō- in Indo-European roots.
- igˈno·rant·ly adverb