- The definition of ignominy is a state of disgrace, dishonor or shame.
An example of ignominy is the state of a person being displayed in public stocks.
- loss of one's reputation; shame and dishonor; infamy
- disgraceful, shameful, or contemptible quality, behavior, or act
Origin of ignominyFrench ignominie ; from Classical Latin ignominia ; from in-, no, not + nomen, name
- Great personal dishonor or humiliation: a military adventure that ended in ignominy.
- An instance or source of this: had suffered many ignominies because of his insensitivity.
Origin of ignominyFrench ignominie, from Old French, from Latin ignōminia : in-, i-, not; see in–1 + nōmen, name (influenced by gnōscere, to know); see n&obremac;-men- in Indo-European roots.