- The definition of ignominy is a state of disgrace, dishonor or shame.
An example of ignominy is the state of a person being displayed in public stocks.
- loss of one's reputation; shame and dishonor; infamy
- disgraceful, shameful, or contemptible quality, behavior, or act
Origin: Fr ignominie from Classical Latin ignominia from in-, no, not plush nomen, name
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. ig·no·min·ies
- Great personal dishonor or humiliation.
- Shameful or disgraceful action, conduct, or character.
Origin: French ignominie, from Old French, from Latin ignōminia : i-, in-, not; see in-1 + nōmen, gnōmen, name (influenced by gnōscere, to know); see nō̆-men- in Indo-European roots.