- The definition of in is successful or powerful.
An example of in is are people who are the most looked-up to or the most fashionable.
- In is defined as going from outside to inside.
An example of in is to walk into a house from the backyard.
- In is defined as not, or into.
- An example of in used as a prefix is in the word "inadequate," which means not enough.
- An example of in used as a prefix is in the word "inbreed," which to breed by mating people or animals which are closely related.
- In is defined as inside the area, moving from a point outside to point inside or having a specific occupation or function.
- An example of in is a letter being enclosed by an envelope.
- An example of in is a basketball player dunking a ball through a hoop.
- An example of in is someone who works as an educator.
These three children are in the car.
- contained or enclosed by; inside; within: in the room, in the envelope
- wearing; clothed by: to dress in one's best
- during the course of: done in a day
- at or before the end of: return in an hour
- perceptible to (one of the senses): the town is in sight; he told a lie in my hearing
- limited by the scope of: in my opinion
- being a member of or worker at: in the navy, in business
- being a student at: she's in college
- being an inmate of: to be in prison
- out of a group or set of: one in ten will fail
- amidst; surrounded by: in a storm, in total darkness
- affected by (a specified state or condition); having: he's in trouble; they were in tears
- engaged or occupied by (an activity or process): in a search for truth, deep in thought
- with regard to; as concerns: weak in faith, to vary in size, six feet two in height
- so as to form; arranged to produce the form or shape of: hair done in curls, standing in a line
- with; by; using: to paint in oils, written in English, sculpture done in wood
- because of; for: to cry in pain
- by way of; for the purpose of: do this in my defense
- as a part of the capacity or function of; belonging to: he didn't have it in him to cheat; can you find it in yourself to forgive her?
- into [break it in two; come in the house]: when the idea of motion from outside to inside is intended, into is generally preferred
- living or located at: vacationing in Venice
Origin of inMiddle English ; from Old English akin to German in ; from Indo-European base an unverified form en- from source Classical Greek en, Classical Latin in (OL en), Old Irish in, Old Church Slavonic on-, Sanskrit an-
- from a point outside to one inside: to invite visitors in
- to or toward a certain place or direction: he flies in today, they live ten miles in
- at or inside one's home, office, etc.: forced to stay in for a day
- so as to be contained by a certain space or condition
- so as to be in office or power
- so as to be agreeing or involved: he fell in with our plans
- so as to form a part: mix in the cream
- that is successful or in power: the in group
- inner; inside
- coming or going inside or inward: the in door, the in boat
- completed, gathered, counted, etc.: the votes are in
- Informal profiting to the extent of: to be in $100
- Informal currently smart, popular, fashionable, etc.: an in place to go
- Informal known to or able to be understood by only a certain group of people; inside (): an in joke
- a person, group, etc. that is in power, in office, or in a favored position: usually used in pl.
- ☆ Informal special influence or favor; pull
have it in for
ins and outs
- all the complex physical details of a place
- all the details and intricacies
- Contained by.
- The dog is in the kennel.
- Surrounded by.
- We are in the enemy camp. Her plane is in the air.
- Part of; a member of.
- One in a million.
- Pertaining to (that particular thing).
- He has passed in English.
- Immediately after a period of time.
- They said they would call us in a week.
- Within a certain time constraint
- Are you able to finish this in three hours? The massacre resulted in over 1000 deaths in three hours.
- By virtue of; by means of
- In replacing the faucet washers, he felt he was making his contribution to the environment.
- Indicating an order or arrangement.
- My fat rolls around in folds.
- Less water gets in your boots this way.
- During (said of periods of time).
- in the first week of December; Easter falls in the fourth lunar month; The country reached a high level of prosperity in his first term.
- Denoting a state of the subject.
- He stalked away in anger. John is in a coma.
- Indicates a language, script, tone, etc. of a text, speech, etc.
- Beethoven's "Symphony No. 5" in C minor is among his most popular. His speech was in French, but was simultaneously translated into eight languages.
- Indicates a language, script, tone, etc. of writing, speaking, etc.
- When you write in cursive, it's illegible. He spoke in French, but his speech was simultaneously translated into eight languages.
- Indicates, connotatively, a place-like form of someone's (something's) personality, as his, her or its psychic and physical characteristics.
- You've got a friend in me. He's met his match in her.
(third-person singular simple present ins, present participle inning, simple past and past participle inned)
From Middle English, from Old English in, from Proto-Germanic *in (whence German in, Dutch in, Danish i), ultimately from Proto-Indo-European *en, whence also ultimately Latin in, Irish i, Welsh yn, Ancient Greek ἐν (en) (modern Greek εν (en)), Old Armenian ի (i), Old Church Slavonic vŭ(n)-, Russian в (v), Old Prussian en, Lithuanian į.
- (not comparable) Located indoors, especially: at home or the office .
- Is Mr. Smith in?
- Moving to the interior of a defined space, such as a building or room.
- Suddenly a strange man walked in.
- (sports) Still eligible to play, e.g. able to bat in cricket and baseball.
- He went for the wild toss but wasn't able to stay in.
- (UK) abbreviation of in aid of.
- What's that in?
- After the beginning of something.
(comparative more in, superlative most in)
- In fashion; popular.
- Skirts are in this year.
- the in train
- (nautical, of the sails of a vessel) Furled or stowed.
- (law) With privilege or possession; used to denote a holding, possession, or seisin.
- in by descent; in by purchase; in of the seisin of her husband
Old English inne
Abbreviation of inch.
- (proscribed, eye dialect) Alternative form of -ing.
- In speech, the difference between the pronunciations /ɪŋ/ and /ɪn/ is usually one of formality. Most speakers tend to use /ɪŋ/ in more formal situations and /ɪn/ in less formal situations. (But there are some speakers who use mainly /ɪŋ/ or mainly /ɪn/ regardless of the situation.)
- In writing, both the /ɪŋ/ and the /ɪn/ pronunciations are usually spelled -ing. When writers use -in', as in makin', they are emphasizing the informality of the situation (attempting, however accurately, to show the social status of the speaker).
- The [ɪn] pronunciation is more common for present participles and less common for verbal nouns.
Alternate pronunciation of -ing with /n/ instead of /ŋ/. From two sources
- the Old English present participle suffix -ende
- the Old English verbal noun suffix -ung/-ing.
The two Old English suffixes became confused in Modern English, due at least partly to the practice of spelling them both as -ing.
- All derivations featuring this suffix are pluralia tantum, but are formally understood as adjectives modifying the Latin feminine plural noun bestiæ (“beasts”); e.g., Felinæ (“cats”) = Bestiæ Felinæ (“Feline Beasts”).
From the Latin -īnae, feminine plural form of -īnus (“-ine”).
|Country code top-level domains|
|Active: .ac .ad .ae .af .ag .ai .al .am .an .ao .aq .ar .as .at .au .aw .ax .az .ba .bb .bd .be .bf .bg .bh .bi .bj .bm .bn .bo .br .bs .bt .bw .by .bz .ca .cc .cd .cf .cg .ch .ci .ck .cl .cm .cn .co .cr .cu .cv .cx .cy .cz .de .dj .dk .dm .do .dz .ec .ee .eg .er .es .et .eu .fi .fj .fk .fm .fo .fr .ga .gd .ge .gf .gg .gh .gi .gl .gm .gn .gp .gq .gr .gs .gt .gu .gw .gy .hk .hm .hn .hr .ht .hu .id .ie .il .im .in .io .iq .ir .is .it .je .jm .jo .jp .ke .kg .kh .ki .km .kn .kp .kr .kw .ky .kz .la .lb .lc .li .lk .lr .ls .lt .lu .lv .ly .ma .mc .md .me .mg .mh .mk .ml .mm .mn .mo .mp .mq .mr .ms .mt .mu .mv .mw .mx .my .mz .na .nc .ne .nf .ng .ni .nl .no .np .nr .nu .nz .om .pa .pe .pf .pg .ph .pk .pl .pm .pn .pr .ps .pt .pw .py .qa .re .ro .rs .ru .rw .sa .sb .sc .sd .se .sg .sh .si .sk .sl .sm .sn .sr .st .su .sv .sy .sz .tc .td .tf .tg .th .tj .tk .tl .tm .tn .to .tr .tt .tv .tw .tz .ua .ug .uk .us .uy .uz .va .vc .ve .vg .vi .vn .vu .wf .ws .ye .yt .za .zm .zw|
in - Computer Definition
(Intelligent Network) The public switched telephone network architecture of the 1990s, which was developed by Bellcore (now Telcordia) and the ITU. It was created to provide a variety of advanced telephony services such as 800 number translation, local number portability (LNP), call forwarding, call screening and wireless integration. While Bellcore named its version AIN (Advanced Intelligent Network) for use in North America, there are a variety of proprietary versions throughout the world based on the ITU standard. The IN uses the SS7 signaling protocol in which voice calls (or modem data) travel through circuit-switched voice switches, while control signals travel over an SS7 packet-switched network. See SS7 and converged network.
How would you define in? Add your definition here.comments powered by Disqus