- The definition of in is successful or powerful.
An example of in is are people who are the most looked-up to or the most fashionable.
- In is defined as going from outside to inside.
An example of in is to walk into a house from the backyard.
- In is defined as not, or into.
- An example of in used as a prefix is in the word "inadequate," which means not enough.
- An example of in used as a prefix is in the word "inbreed," which to breed by mating people or animals which are closely related.
- In is defined as inside the area, moving from a point outside to point inside or having a specific occupation or function.
- An example of in is a letter being enclosed by an envelope.
- An example of in is a basketball player dunking a ball through a hoop.
- An example of in is someone who works as an educator.
These three children are in the car.
- contained or enclosed by; inside; within: in the room, in the envelope
- wearing; clothed by: to dress in one's best
- during the course of: done in a day
- at or before the end of: return in an hour
- perceptible to (one of the senses): the town is in sight; he told a lie in my hearing
- limited by the scope of: in my opinion
- being a member of or worker at: in the navy, in business
- being a student at: she's in college
- being an inmate of: to be in prison
- out of a group or set of: one in ten will fail
- amidst; surrounded by: in a storm, in total darkness
- affected by (a specified state or condition); having: he's in trouble; they were in tears
- engaged or occupied by (an activity or process): in a search for truth, deep in thought
- with regard to; as concerns: weak in faith, to vary in size, six feet two in height
- so as to form; arranged to produce the form or shape of: hair done in curls, standing in a line
- with; by; using: to paint in oils, written in English, sculpture done in wood
- because of; for: to cry in pain
- by way of; for the purpose of: do this in my defense
- as a part of the capacity or function of; belonging to: he didn't have it in him to cheat; can you find it in yourself to forgive her?
- into [break it in two; come in the house]: when the idea of motion from outside to inside is intended, into is generally preferred
- living or located at: vacationing in Venice
Origin of inMiddle English ; from Old English akin to German in ; from Indo-European base an unverified form en- from source Classical Greek en, Classical Latin in (OL en), Old Irish in, Old Church Slavonic on-, Sanskrit an-
- from a point outside to one inside: to invite visitors in
- to or toward a certain place or direction: he flies in today, they live ten miles in
- at or inside one's home, office, etc.: forced to stay in for a day
- so as to be contained by a certain space or condition
- so as to be in office or power
- so as to be agreeing or involved: he fell in with our plans
- so as to form a part: mix in the cream
- that is successful or in power: the in group
- inner; inside
- coming or going inside or inward: the in door, the in boat
- completed, gathered, counted, etc.: the votes are in
- Informal profiting to the extent of: to be in $100
- Informal currently smart, popular, fashionable, etc.: an in place to go
- Informal known to or able to be understood by only a certain group of people; inside (): an in joke
- a person, group, etc. that is in power, in office, or in a favored position: usually used in pl.
- ☆ Informal special influence or favor; pull
have it in for
ins and outs
- all the complex physical details of a place
- all the details and intricacies
in - Computer Definition
(Intelligent Network) The public switched telephone network architecture of the 1990s, which was developed by Bellcore (now Telcordia) and the ITU. It was created to provide a variety of advanced telephony services such as 800 number translation, local number portability (LNP), call forwarding, call screening and wireless integration. While Bellcore named its version AIN (Advanced Intelligent Network) for use in North America, there are a variety of proprietary versions throughout the world based on the ITU standard. The IN uses the SS7 signaling protocol in which voice calls (or modem data) travel through circuit-switched voice switches, while control signals travel over an SS7 packet-switched network. See SS7 and converged network.