- The definition of in is successful or powerful.
An example of in is are people who are the most looked-up to or the most fashionable.
- In is defined as going from outside to inside.
An example of in is to walk into a house from the backyard.
- In is defined as not, or into.
- An example of in used as a prefix is in the word "inadequate," which means not enough.
- An example of in used as a prefix is in the word "inbreed," which to breed by mating people or animals which are closely related.
- In is defined as inside the area, moving from a point outside to point inside or having a specific occupation or function.
- An example of in is a letter being enclosed by an envelope.
- An example of in is a basketball player dunking a ball through a hoop.
- An example of in is someone who works as an educator.
These three children are in the car.
in definition by Webster's New World
- contained or enclosed by; inside; within: in the room, in the envelope
- wearing; clothed by: to dress in one's best
- during the course of: done in a day
- at or before the end of: return in an hour
- perceptible to (one of the senses): the town is in sight; he told a lie in my hearing
- limited by the scope of: in my opinion
- being a member of or worker at: in the navy, in business
- being a student at: she's in college
- being an inmate of: to be in prison
- out of a group or set of: one in ten will fail
- amidst; surrounded by: in a storm, in total darkness
- affected by (a specified state or condition); having: he's in trouble; they were in tears
- engaged or occupied by (an activity or process): in a search for truth, deep in thought
- with regard to; as concerns: weak in faith, to vary in size, six feet two in height
- so as to form; arranged to produce the form or shape of: hair done in curls, standing in a line
- with; by; using: to paint in oils, written in English, sculpture done in wood
- because of; for: to cry in pain
- by way of; for the purpose of: do this in my defense
- as a part of the capacity or function of; belonging to: he didn't have it in him to cheat; can you find it in yourself to forgive her?
- into [break it in two; come in the house]: when the idea of motion from outside to inside is intended, into is generally preferred
- living or located at: vacationing in Venice
Origin: Middle English ; from Old English akin to German in ; from Indo-European base an unverified form en- from source Classical Greek en, Classical Latin in (OL en), Old Irish in, Old Church Slavonic on-, Sanskrit an-
- from a point outside to one inside: to invite visitors in
- to or toward a certain place or direction: he flies in today, they live ten miles in
- at or inside one's home, office, etc.: forced to stay in for a day
- so as to be contained by a certain space or condition
- so as to be in office or power
- so as to be agreeing or involved: he fell in with our plans
- so as to form a part: mix in the cream
- that is successful or in power: the in group
- inner; inside
- coming or going inside or inward: the in door, the in boat
- completed, gathered, counted, etc.: the votes are in
- Informal profiting to the extent of: to be in $100
- Informal currently smart, popular, fashionable, etc.: an in place to go
- Informal known to or able to be understood by only a certain group of people; inside (): an in joke
- a person, group, etc. that is in power, in office, or in a favored position: usually used in pl.
- ☆ Informal special influence or favor; pull
Origin: ; from the preposition in; also Middle English ; from Old English inn and amp; Middle French in- or Old French en- ; from Classical Latin in- ; from in: see in
Origin: Middle English ; from Old French and amp; Midieval Latin ; from Classical Latin ; from Indo-European an unverified form ṇ-, initial negative particle, variant, variety of an unverified form ne, an unverified form nē- from source no, Classical Latin ne-
- a neutral carbohydrate: inulin
- a glycoside: amygdalin
- a protein: albumin
- a glyceride: palmitin
- an enzyme: rennin
- an antibiotic: streptomycin
- an alkaloid or a nitrogenous base: codein
- a pharmaceutical preparation: chrysarobin
- a commercial product, material, or mixture: algin
- an antigen: tuberculin
Origin: see -ine
in definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. Within the limits, bounds, or area of: was hit in the face; born in the spring; a chair in the garden.b. From the outside to a point within; into: threw the letter in the wastebasket.
- To or at a situation or condition of: was split in two; in debt; a woman in love.
- a. Having the activity, occupation, or function of: a life in politics; the officer in command.b. During the act or process of: tripped in racing for the bus.
- a. With the arrangement or order of: fabric that fell in luxuriant folds; arranged to purchase the car in equal payments.b. After the style or form of: a poem in iambic pentameter.
- With the characteristic, attribute, or property of: a tall man in an overcoat.
- a. By means of: paid in cash.b. Made with or through the medium of: a statue in bronze; a note written in German.
- With the aim or purpose of: followed in pursuit.
- With reference to: six inches in depth; has faith in your judgment.
- Used to indicate the second and larger term of a ratio or proportion: saved only one in ten.
- To or toward the inside: opened the door and stepped in.
- To or toward a destination or goal: The mob closed in.
- Sports So as to score, as by crossing home plate in baseball: singled the runner in.
- Within a place, as of business or residence: The manager is in before anyone else.
- So as to be available or under one's control: We can proceed when all the evidence is in.
- So as to include or incorporate: Fold in the egg whites.
- So as to occupy a position of success or favor: campaigned hard and was voted in.
- In a particular relationship: got in bad with their supervisor.
- Located inside; inner.
- Incoming; inward: took the in bus.
- Holding office; having power: the in party.
- Informal a. Currently fashionable: the in thing to wear this season.b. Concerned with or attuned to the latest fashions: the in crowd. See Synonyms at fashionable.
- Relating to, understandable to, or coming from an exclusive group: an in reference.
- One that has position, influence, or power: the ins against the outs.
- Informal Influence; power: had an in with the authorities.
Origin: Middle English, from Old English; see en in Indo-European roots.
or il- or im- or ir-prefix
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin; see ne in Indo-European roots.
or il- or im- or ir-prefix
- In; into; within: inundation. Before l, in- is usually assimilated to il-; before r to ir-; and before b, m, and p to im-.
- Variant of en-1.
Origin: Middle English, from Old English (from in, in; see in1) and from Old French (from Latin, from in, in, within; see en in Indo-European roots).
- Neutral chemical compound, especially:a. Neutral carbohydrate: inulin.b. Protein or protein derivative: albumin.c. Lipid or lipid derivative: lecithin.d. Enzyme: pancreatin.e. Glycoside: chitin.
- A pharmaceutical: rifampin.
- An antibiotic: penicillin.
- Antigen: tuberculin.
- Variant of -ine2.
Origin: Variant of -ine2.
in - Computer Definition
A public switched telephone network (PSTN) that, at a minimum, provides for the switches to consult centralized, service- and customer-specific databases for routing instructions and authorization code verification. Intelligent Network Version 1 (IN/1) was conceived at Bell Labs and unveiled in 1976 with the introduction of INWATS (800) services and the first common channel signaling (CCS) system. IN/1 services included INWATS, calling card verification, and voice virtual private networks (VPNs). IN is dependent on the service creation element (SCE), a set of modular programming tools permitting services to be developed independently of the switch, thereby divorcing the servicespecific programmed logic from the switch logic.This enables the service to be developed independently and be made available to all switches in the network. IN/1 was succeeded by the advanced intelligent network (AIN), developed by Bell Labs in the early 1980s. See also AIN, Bell Labs, CCS, database, PSTN, routing, SCE, switch, and VPN.
(Intelligent Network) The public switched telephone network architecture of the 1990s, which was developed by Bellcore (now Telcordia) and the ITU. It was created to provide a variety of advanced telephony services such as 800 number translation, local number portability (LNP), call forwarding, call screening and wireless integration. While Bellcore named its version AIN (Advanced Intelligent Network) for use in North America, there are a variety of proprietary versions throughout the world based on the ITU standard. The IN uses the SS7 signaling protocol in which voice calls (or modem data) travel through circuit-switched voice switches, while control signals travel over an SS7 packet-switched network. See SS7 and converged network.
in - Medical Definition
- Neutral chemical compound: inulin.
- Pharmaceutical: rifampin.
- Antibiotic: penicillin.
- Antigen: tuberculin.
- Variant of -ine.
in - Phrases/Idioms
have it in for
ins and outs
- all the complex physical details of a place
- all the details and intricacies