- The definition of ignominious is something that is contemptible or degrading, or that makes you deserving of public shame.
An example of ignominious is a crushing defeat in an election that shames your party.
ignominious definition by Webster's New World
- characterized by or bringing on ignominy; shameful; dishonorable; disgraceful
- contemptible; despicable
- degrading; humiliating
Origin: French ignominieux ; from Classical Latin ignominiosus
ignominious definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Marked by shame or disgrace: “It was an ignominious end … as a desperate mutiny by a handful of soldiers blossomed into full-scale revolt” (Angus Deming).
- Deserving disgrace or shame; despicable.
- Degrading; debasing: “The young people huddled with their sodden gritty towels and ignominious goosebumps inside the gray-shingled bathhouse” (John Updike).
- igˌno·minˈi·ous·ly adverb
- igˌno·minˈi·ous·ness noun