opprobrious[ə prō′brē əs]
- The definition of opprobrious is something that is disrespectful or that expresses shame or disgrace.
- Harsh, scolding words or shouts delivered as part of a lecture are an example of words that would be described as opprobrious.
- Being incredibly rude and refusing to engage in any of the polite social customs when you attend a wedding is an example of opprobrious behavior.
- expressing opprobrium; abusive; disrespectful
- Now Rare deserving opprobrium; disgraceful
Origin of opprobriousMiddle English ; from Late Latin opprobriosus
- Expressing contemptuous reproach; scornful or abusive: opprobrious epithets.
- Bringing disgrace; shameful or infamous: opprobrious conduct.