- The definition of abusive is something that is improperly used or someone that causes harm.
- An example of abusive is a husband who hits his wife.
- An example of abusive is the behavior of a child who bangs his new video game on the ground.
A woman acting in an abusive manner.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- involving or characterized by abuse or misuse; abusing; mistreating
- coarse and insulting in language; scurrilous; harshly scolding
Origin: French abusif ; from Classical Latin abusivus ; from abusus: see abuse
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Characterized by improper or wrongful use: abusive utilization of public funds.
- Using or containing insulting or coarse language: finally reprimanded the abusive colleague.
- Causing physical injury to another: abusive punishment.
- Relating to or practicing sexual abuse.
- a·buˈsive·ly adverb
- a·buˈsive·ness noun