- The definition of oppressive is tyrannical power or power that is used unfairly.
An example of oppressive used as an adjective is the phrase oppressive power which is a cruel dictatorship.
- The definition of oppressive is something that is hard to deal with or causes discomfort.
An example of oppressive is midsummer heat while you are outside.
- hard to put up with; causing great discomfort or fatigue
- cruelly overbearing; tyrannical
- weighing heavily on the mind, spirits, or senses; distressing
Origin: Middle English oppressivus from Classical Latin oppressus: see oppress
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Difficult to bear; burdensome: oppressive laws.
- Exercising power arbitrarily and often unjustly; tyrannical.
- Weighing heavily on the senses or spirit: oppressive weather. See Synonyms at burdensome.
- op·presˈsive·ly adverb
- op·presˈsive·ness noun