- The definition of oppressive is tyrannical power or power that is used unfairly.
An example of oppressive used as an adjective is the phrase oppressive power which is a cruel dictatorship.
- The definition of oppressive is something that is hard to deal with or causes discomfort.
An example of oppressive is midsummer heat while you are outside.
oppressive definition by Webster's New World
- hard to put up with; causing great discomfort or fatigue
- cruelly overbearing; tyrannical
- weighing heavily on the mind, spirits, or senses; distressing
Origin: Middle English oppressivus ; from Classical Latin oppressus: see oppress
oppressive definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Difficult to bear; burdensome: oppressive laws.
- Exercising power arbitrarily and often unjustly; tyrannical.
- Weighing heavily on the senses or spirit: oppressive weather. See Synonyms at burdensome.
- op·presˈsive·ly adverb
- op·presˈsive·ness noun