- The definition of oppressive is something that is hard to deal with or causes discomfort.
An example of oppressive is midsummer heat while you are outside.
- The definition of oppressive is tyrannical power or power that is used unfairly.
An example of oppressive used as an adjective is the phrase oppressive power which is a cruel dictatorship.
- hard to put up with; causing great discomfort or fatigue
- cruelly overbearing; tyrannical
- weighing heavily on the mind, spirits, or senses; distressing
Origin of oppressiveMiddle English oppressivus from Classical Latin oppressus: see oppress
- Exercising power arbitrarily and often unjustly; tyrannical.
- Difficult to cope with; causing hardship or depressed spirits: oppressive demands. See Synonyms at burdensome.
- Hot and humid; sweltering: an oppressive heat wave.
(comparative more oppressive, superlative most oppressive)