- Oppression means feeling weighed down physically or emotionally.
An example of oppression is what a political prisoner may feel.
- Oppression is defined as treating people unfairly, especially with overuse of government power.
An example of oppression is what the citizens of a cruel dictatorship may feel.
oppression definition by Webster's New World
- an oppressing or being oppressed
- a thing that oppresses
- a feeling of being weighed down, as with worries or problems; physical or mental distress
Origin: Old French ; from Classical Latin oppressio
oppression definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. The act of oppressing; arbitrary and cruel exercise of power: “There can be no really pervasive system of oppression . . . without the consent of the oppressed” (Florynce R. Kennedy).b. The state of being oppressed.
- Something that oppresses.
- A feeling of being heavily weighed down in mind or body.