- Joy is defined as happiness and delight.
An example of joy is what you feel on your wedding day.
A brides face shows joy on her wedding day.
joy definition by Webster's New World
- a very glad feeling; happiness; great pleasure; delight
- anything causing such feeling
- the expression or showing of such feeling
Origin: Middle English joie ; from Old French ; from Late Latin gaudia, origin, originally plural of Classical Latin gaudium, joy ; from Indo-European base an unverified form gāu-, to rejoice from source Classical Greek gēthein, to rejoice, Middle Irish gūaire, noble
- to make joyful
- to enjoy
joy definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. Intense and especially ecstatic or exultant happiness.b. The expression or manifestation of such feeling.
- A source or an object of pleasure or satisfaction: their only child, their pride and joy.
- To fill with ecstatic happiness, pleasure, or satisfaction.
- To enjoy.
Origin: Middle English joie, from Old French, from Latin gaudia, pl. of gaudium, joy, from gaudēre, to rejoice; see gāu- in Indo-European roots.