- Woe is defined as a way to express sorrow.
An example of woe is what you say to express sadness.
- Woe is a feeling of deep sorrow or grief.
An example of woe is what you feel when someone you love dies.
- great sorrow; grief; misery
- a cause of sorrow; affliction; trouble
Origin: Middle English wo from Old English wa, woe from Indo-European interjection an unverified form wai- from source Old Norse væ, Gothic wai, Welsh gwae, Classical Latin vae
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Deep distress or misery, as from grief; wretchedness. See Synonyms at regret.
- Misfortune; calamity: economic and political woes.
Origin: Middle English wa, wo, from Old English wā, woe!.