- The definition of woebegone is an appearance that is sad, tearful or wretched.
- An example of someone woebegone is an owner who has lost his dog.
- An example of someone woebegone is a patient who just heard that he has one month to live.
- An example of something woebegone is a very old car that has huge rust spots and barely runs.
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Affected with or marked by deep sorrow, grief, or wretchedness. See Synonyms at sad.
- Of an inferior or deplorable condition: a rundown, woebegone old shack.
Origin: Middle English wo begon, beset with woe : wo, woe; see woe + begon, past participle of begon, to beset (from Old English begān : be-, be- + gān, to go; see Go 1).
- woeˈbe·goneˌness noun