A depressed man is comforted by his wife.
- A person who cannot shake his sadness and who has to take Prozac is an example of someone who is depressed.
- When the economy is struggling due to high unemployment rates and lack of consumer confidence, this is an example of a depressed economy.
The definition of depressed is someone in a sad or unhappy state, or something that has been pushed down.
- pressed down
- lowered in position, intensity, amount, or degree
- flattened or hollowed, as if pressed down
- gloomy; dejected; sad
- suffering from psychological depression
- characterized by widespread unemployment, poverty, lack of opportunity, etc.; impoverished: a depressed area
- Bot. flattened, as if from downward pressure
- Zool. having the horizontal diameter longer than the vertical; broad
- a. Low in spirits; dejected.b. Suffering from clinical depression.
- Sunk below the surrounding region: the depressed center of a crater.
- Lower in amount, degree, or position: Oil reserves were at depressed levels because of increasing industrial demands.
- a. Sluggish in growth or activity: a depressed sector of the economy.b. Suffering from social and economic hardship: a depressed region.
- Botany Flattened downward, as if pressed from above.
- Zoology Flattened along the dorsal and ventral surfaces.
- simple past tense and past participle of depress
(comparative more depressed, superlative most depressed)
depress + -en