blessed[for 1-2, blest, also bles′id; for 3-5, bles′id, also blest]
- The definition of blessed is someone who is very happy and has many gifts.
An example of blessed is a family with good health and money.
- Blessed is defined as having had good wishes or a prayer said on someone’s behalf.
An example of blessed is a bridge and groom after going to the priest at a church.
A happy, healthy family is blessed.
blessed definition by Webster's New World
- holy; sacred; consecrated
- enjoying great happiness; blissful
- of or in eternal bliss; a title applied to a person who has been beatified
- bringing comfort or joy
- confounded; cursed: an intensive
blessed definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. Worthy of worship; holy.b. Held in veneration; revered.
- Blessed Roman Catholic Church Used as a title before the name of one who has been beatified.
- Bringing happiness, pleasure, or contentment.
- blessed Used as an intensive: I don't have a blessed dime.
- blessˈed·ly adverb
- blessˈed·ness noun
blessed - Phrases/Idioms
the blessed(for 1, blest or blesâ²id; for 2, blesâ²id, also blest)
- people who are blessed
- Theol. those dead whose souls are in heaven
Variant of bless
- to make or declare holy by a spoken formula or a sign; hallow; consecrate
- to ask divine favor for: the minister blessed the congregation
- to favor or endow (with): to be blessed with eloquence
- to make happy or prosperous; gladden: he blessed us with his leadership
- to think (oneself) happy; congratulate (oneself)
- to praise or glorify: to bless the Lord
- to make the sign of the cross over or upon
- to keep or protect from harm, evil, etc.: obsolete, except in prayers, exclamations, etc.
Origin: Middle English blessen, bletsien ; from Old English bletsian, bledsian ; from blod, blood: rite of consecration by sprinkling an altar with blood