The definition of infernal is something related to the underworld or hell, or something that is very annoying.adjective
- When it is 110 degrees out and feels as hot as you imagine hell would feel, this is an example of the infernal heat.
- When you can't stand the constant yelling of the kids down the street, this is an example of when you might yell at them to stop that infernal yelling.
- of the ancient mythological world of the dead
- of hell
- hellish; diabolic; fiendish; inhuman
- Informal hateful; outrageous
Origin: OFr < LL infernalis < L infernus, underground, lower, infernal < inferus: see inferior
- infernally adverb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. Of or relating to a lower world of the dead.b. Of or relating to hell: infernal punishments; infernal powers.
- Fiendish; diabolical: infernal instruments of war.
- Abominable; awful: the infernal racket of the jackhammers.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Late Latin īnfernālis, from īnfernus, hell, from Latin, lower, underground; see ṇdher- in Indo-European roots.
- in·ferˈnal·ly adverb