(comparative more inferiorly, superlative most inferiorly)
- In an inferior manner.
- In an inferior direction.
inferior + -ly
Variant of inferior
- lower in space; placed lower down
- low or lower in order, status, rank, etc.; subordinate
- lower in quality or value than: with to
- poor in quality; below average
- Anat. located below or directed downward
- Astron. designating or of planets between the earth and the sun
- Bot. having the sepals, petals, and stamens attached at the apex: said of the ovary of an epigynous flower
- Printing placed below the type line, as 2 in NO
Origin of inferiorMiddle English ; from Classical Latin comparative of inferus, low, below ; from Indo-European an unverified form ṇdheros ; from base an unverified form ṇdhos, under
an inferior person or thing