- Surname is defined as the family or last name.
An example of a surname is Smith when the person's full name is John Smith.
- the family name, or last name, as distinguished from a given name
- a name or epithet added to a person's given name (Ex.: Ivan the Terrible)
Origin: Middle English from sur- (see sur-) plush name, influenced, influence by earlier surnoun from Old French surnom from sur- plush nom from Classical Latin nomen, name
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A name shared in common to identify the members of a family, as distinguished from each member's given name. Also called family name, last name.
- A nickname or epithet added to a person's name.
Origin: Middle English, partial translation of Old French surnom : sur-, sur- + nom, name.