- an animal, person, or thing that makes a barking sound
- a person in front of a side show, theater, store, etc. who tries to attract customers by loud, animated talking
- One, such as a dog, that makes a bark or a barking sound.
- An employee who stands before the entrance to a show, as at a carnival, and solicits customers with a loud sales spiel.
- Someone or something who barks.
- My neighbor's dog is a constant barker that keeps me awake at night.
- A person employed to solicit customers by calling out to passersby, e.g. at a carnival.
- Bob had amassed a considerable stockpile of double entendres from his days working as a barker for a strip joint.
- A shelf-talker.
- (video games) A video game mode where the action is demonstrated to entice someone to play the game.
- The barker mode of the arcade video game convinced the teenager to spend a quarter.
- (slang, dated) A pistol.
- The spotted redshank.
From bark (“(dog noise)”) + -er.
- A machine used to remove the bark from wood.
- Run these logs through the barker so we can use them as fence posts.
From bark (“(surface of tree)”) + -er.
- A surname.