- During is defined as at the same time or through the entire time.
An example of during is someone coughing the whole time a speech was being made.
- throughout the entire time of; all through: food was scarce during the war
- at some point in the entire time of; in the course of: he left during the lecture
Origin: Middle English duringe, preposition , origin, originally present participle of duren, endure
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Throughout the course or duration of: suffered food shortages during the war.
- At some time in: was born during a blizzard.
Origin: Middle English, from present participle of duren, to last, from Old French durer, from Latin dūrāre; see deuə- in Indo-European roots.