- Midst is defined as a middle point or middle part.
The point right in the middle of a city is an example of the midst of the city.
- Midst means the middle of.
When you are in the middle of cleaning, this is an example of a situation where you are in the midst of cleaning.
Origin of midstMiddle English middest, probably merging of middes, genitive of mid (with unhistoric -t) + middest, superlative of mid, mid
in our (or your or their) midst
in the midst of
- in the middle of; surrounded by
- in the course of; during
- The middle position or part; the center: in the midst of the desert.
- A position of proximity to others: a stranger in our midst.
- The condition of being surrounded or beset by something: in the midst of all of our problems.
- A period of time approximately in the middle of a continuing condition or act: in the midst of the war.
Origin of midstMiddle English middes, middest alteration of Old English midde middle ; see medhyo- in Indo-European roots.
- A place (literal or metaphoric) in the middle of something.
- (rare) among, in the middle of