- The definition of a complication is an undesired development that makes something harder or makes something worse.
When you have surgery and a problem develops as a result of the surgery, this is an example of a complication.
complication definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- the act of complicating, or making involved
- a complicated condition or structure; complex, involved, or confused relationship of parts
- a complicating factor or occurrence as in the plot of a story or in the unfolding of events
- Med. a second disease or abnormal condition occurring during the course of a primary disease
complication definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- The act of complicating.
- A confused or intricate relationship of parts.
- A factor, condition, or element that complicates.
- Medicine A secondary disease, an accident, or a negative reaction occurring during the course of an illness and usually aggravating the illness.
complication - Medical Definition
A pathological process or event occurring during a disease that is not an essential part of the disease; it may result from the disease or from independent causes.