- The definition of an answer is a response to a question or inquiry that can be given orally or in written form.
An example of an answer is an essay written on an exam.
- An answer is defined as something that is similar or a close copy.
An example of an answer is to say that the game of rugby is another version of American football.
- To answer is defined as to give a response to a question in either an oral or written manner, or by a physical gesture.
An example of giving an answer is to wave back to someone who has smiled or waved at you.
- Answer means to deal with a result of something.
An example of having to answer for something is a child explaining why he bullied another child.
answer definition by Webster's New World
- something said or written in return to a question, argument, letter, etc.
- any act in response or retaliation: his answer was a well-aimed blow
- one that is a counterpart or equivalent of another, often as the result of imitation: Japan's answer to Sherlock Holmes
- a solution to a problem
- Law a written pleading by which the defendant replies to the plaintiff's charges; defense
- Music in a fugue, the second or fourth restatement of the subject in another voice and transposed to another key, usually at the interval of a fourth or fifth
Origin: Middle English andsware ; from Old English andswaru ; from and-, against plush swerian, swear
- to reply in words, by an action, etc.
- to react to a stimulus; respond (to): the horse answered to its rider's touch
- to serve the purpose; be sufficient
- to be responsible or liable (to a person for an action, accusation, etc.)
- to be in conformity; correspond (to): he answers to the description
- to reply to in words, by an action, etc.
- to say or write in reply
- to respond to the signal of (a telephone, doorbell, etc.)
- to fulfill satisfactorily; comply with; be sufficient for; serve: the makeshift tent answered their purpose
- to defend oneself against (an accusation, criticism, etc.); refute
- to agree with; conform to; suit: he answers the description
- Obsolete to atone for
answer definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. A spoken or written reply, as to a question.b. A correct reply.
- a. A solution, as to a problem.b. A correct solution.
- An act in retaliation or response: Our only possible answer was to sue.
- Something markedly similar to another of the same class: cable TV's answer to the commercial networks' sportscasts.
- Law A defendant's defense against charges.
- To speak, write, or act as a return, as to a question.
- To be liable or accountable: You must answer for your actions.
- To serve the purpose; suffice: “Often I do use three words where one would answer” (Mark Twain).
- To correspond; match: I found a dog answering to that description.
- To speak, write, or act as a return to; respond to.
- To respond correctly to.
- To fulfill the demands or needs of; serve: “My fortune has answered my desires” (Isaak Walton).
- To conform or correspond to: The suspect answers the description given by the police.
Origin: Middle English answere, from Old English andswaru; see swer- in Indo-European roots.
answer - Legal Definition
answer - Phrases/Idioms