- A moat protecting your castle is an example of the first line of defence.
- When someone attacks your actions and decisions and says you did everything wrong, the way in which you argue that this is not true is an example of a defence of your actions.
& v.Chiefly British
- The action of defending, of protecting from attack, danger or injury.
- Something used to oppose attack(s).
- An argument in support or justification of something.
- (team sports) A strategy and tactics employed to prevent the other team from scoring; contrasted with offense.
- (team sports) The portion of a team dedicated to preventing the other team from scoring; contrasted with offense.
- Government policy or (infra)structure related to the military.
- Department of Defense
(third-person singular simple present defences, present participle defencing, simple past and past participle defenced)