fortification[fôrt′ə fi kā′s̸hən]
- the act or science of fortifying
- something used in fortifying; esp., a fort or defensive earthwork, wall, etc.
- a fortified place or position
Origin of fortificationMiddle English fortificacioun ; from Old French fortification ; from Late Latin fortificatio ; from past participle of fortificare: see fortify
- a. The science of fortifying.b. The act or process of fortifying.
- Something that serves to fortify, especially military works erected to fortify a position or place.
OriginSee also: fortificâtion
From Middle French fortification, from Latin fortificātiō.