fortification[fôrt′ə fi kā′s̸hən]
fortification definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- the act or science of fortifying
- something used in fortifying; esp., a fort or defensive earthwork, wall, etc.
- a fortified place or position
Origin: Middle English fortificacioun ; from Old French fortification ; from Late Latin fortificatio ; from past participle of fortificare: see fortify
fortification definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. The science of fortifying.b. The act or process of fortifying.
- Something that serves to fortify, especially military works erected to fortify a position or place.