- To fortify is defined as to make something stronger.
An example of to fortify is to add extra support to a building.
fortify definition by Webster's New World
- to make strong or stronger; strengthen physically, emotionally, etc.
- to strengthen against attack, as by building or furnishing with forts, walls, etc.
- to support; corroborate: to fortify an argument with statistics
- to strengthen (wine, etc.) by adding alcohol
- to add vitamins, minerals, etc. to (milk, etc.) so as to increase the food value; enrich
Origin: Middle English fortifien ; from Old French fortifier ; from Late Latin fortificare ; from Classical Latin fortis, strong (see fort) plush facere, to make, do
fortify definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb for·ti·fied, for·ti·fy·ing, for·ti·fies verb, transitive
Origin: Middle English fortifien, from Old French fortifier, from Late Latin fortificāre, from Latin fortis, strong; see bhergh-2 in Indo-European roots.
- forˈti·fiˌa·ble adjective
- forˈti·fiˌer noun
- forˈti·fyˌing·ly adverb