- To decrease is defined as to make something smaller or fewer or to become smaller or fewer.
- When you lower the amount you give to charity, this is an example of a situation where you decrease your contribution.
- When the snow begins to melt and these is less of it on the road, this is an example of a situation where the snow decreases.
decrease definition by Webster's New World
Origin: Middle English decresen ; from Old French decreistre ; from Classical Latin decrescere ; from de-, from, away plush crescere, grow: see crescent
- a decreasing; lessening; diminution
- amount of decreasing
Origin: ME decres
- decreasingly adverb
decrease definition by American Heritage Dictionary
intr. & tr.v. de·creased, de·creas·ing, de·creas·es
- The act or process of decreasing.
- The amount by which something decreases.
Origin: Middle English decresen, from Old French decreistre, decreiss-, from Latin dēcrēscere : dē-, de- + crēscere, to grow; see ker-2 in Indo-European roots.
- de·creasˈing·ly adverb
decrease - Phrases/Idioms
on the decrease