- The definition of augment is to make larger or stronger, or to become bigger.
A woman getting her breast size increased with plastic surgery is an example of augment.
augment definition by Webster's New World
- to make greater, as in size, quantity, or strength; enlarge
- to add an augment to
Origin: Middle English augmenten ; from Old French augmenter ; from Late Latin augmentare ; from augmentum, an increase ; from Classical Latin augere, to increase: see wax
- Obsolete an increase
- Gram. a prefixed vowel or a lengthening or diphthongization of the initial vowel to show past time in Greek and Sanskrit verbs
augment definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb aug·ment·ed, aug·ment·ing, aug·ments verb, transitive
- To make (something already developed or well under way) greater, as in size, extent, or quantity: Continuing rains augmented the floodwaters.
- Linguistics To add an augment to.
Origin: Middle English augmenten, from Old French augmenter, from Late Latin augmentāre, from Latin augmentum, an increase, from augēre, to increase; see aug- in Indo-European roots.
- aug·mentˈa·ble adjective
- aug·mentˈer noun