buildup definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
☆ or build-up
- praise or favorable publicity, esp. when systematic and intended to make something popular, well-known, etc.
- a gradual increase in amount, power, influence, etc.; expansion: a military buildup
buildup definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The act or process of amassing or increasing: a military buildup; a buildup of tension during the strike.
- The result of building up: a pipe clogged by rust buildup.
- a. Widely favorable publicity, especially by a systematic campaign: The new movie was given a tremendous buildup in the media.b. Extravagant praise.