- An example of promotion is the job of president when before you were vice president.
- An example of promotion is a flyer that advertises a sale or new store opening.
- An example of promotion is a sale where you get two boxes of cereal for the price of one.
- advancement in rank, grade, or position
- furtherance of an enterprise, cause, etc.
Origin of promotionMiddle English ; from Middle French ; from Late Latin promotio
- The act of promoting someone to a higher job, grade, or rank, or the fact of being so promoted.
- Support or encouragement of the progress, growth, or acceptance of something; furtherance: has joined in the promotion of the theory.
- a. Advertising; publicity.b. An act, event, or offer that helps to increase interest in or demand for something: offered a free sample as a promotion to try the new soap.
I'll have to give myself a promotion!
The price cut is serving as a promotion of the manufacturer's new beverage varieties.
From French promotion.