preferment[prē fʉr′mənt, pri-]
- the act of preferring
- an advancement in rank or office; promotion
- an office, rank, or honor to which a person is advanced
- The act of advancing to a higher position or office; promotion.
- A position, appointment, or rank giving advancement, as of profit or prestige.
- The act of preferring or the state of being preferred.
- (now historical) Prior claim (on payment, or on purchasing something); the first rights to obtain a particular payment or product. [from 15th c.]
- Advancement to a higher position or office; promotion. [from 15th c.]
- A position (especially in the Church of England) that provides profit or prestige. [from 16th c.]
- (now rare) The fact of preferring something; preference. [from 16th c.]