preferment[prē fʉr′mənt, pri-]
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio.
- the act of preferring
- an advancement in rank or office; promotion
- an office, rank, or honor to which a person is advanced
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- The act of advancing to a higher position or office; promotion.
- A position, appointment, or rank giving advancement, as of profit or prestige.
- The act of preferring or the state of being preferred.