- Prefer is defined as to like someone or something better than another.
An example of to prefer is choosing vanilla over chocolate.
- to put before someone else in rank, office, etc.; promote; advance
- to put before a magistrate, administrator, court, etc. for consideration, sanction, or redress: to prefer charges against an attacker
- to put before something or someone else in one's liking, opinion, etc.; like better
- to give preference or priority to (a creditor, etc.)
Origin: Middle English preferren from Middle French preferer from Classical Latin praeferre, to place before from prae-, pre- plush ferre, bear
- preferrer noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
transitive verb pre·ferred, pre·fer·ring, pre·fers
- To choose or be in the habit of choosing as more desirable or as having more value: prefers coffee to tea.
- Law a. To give priority or precedence to (a creditor).b. To file, prosecute, or offer for consideration or resolution before a magistrate, court, or other legal authority: preferred the suit in a higher court.
- Archaic To recommend for advancement or appointment; promote.
Origin: Middle English preferren, from Old French preferer, from Latin praeferre : prae-, pre- + ferre, to carry; see bher-1 in Indo-European roots.
- pre·ferˈrer noun