Elevation is defined as the height above the ground or other surface, or a place or position of height.noun
- An example of elevation is a plane flying at 36,000 feet above the ground.
- An example of elevation is a pope being raised to the position of saint.
- An example of elevation is a ballet dancer leaping three feet in the air.
- an elevating or being elevated
- a high place or position
- height above a surface, as of the earth
- the ability of a dancer to attain height in the air while executing a leap
- the height thus attained
- dignity; eminence; loftiness
- a flat scale drawing of the front, rear, or side of a building, etc.
- Aeron. the angular altitude of any object above the horizon
- Geog. height above sea level; altitude
- Mil. angular distance of the muzzle of a gun above the horizontal
Origin: ME elevacioun < OFr elevacion < L elevatio
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. The act or an instance of elevating.b. The condition of being elevated.
- An elevated place or position.
- The height to which something is elevated above a point of reference such as the ground.
- Loftiness of thought or feeling.
- A scale drawing of the side, front, or rear of a structure.
- The height of a thing above a reference level; altitude.
- a. The ability to achieve height in a jump, as in ballet.b. The degree of height reached when such a jump is executed.
elevation - Science Definition
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.