- The definition of an elevator is a lifting device usually made up of cables and a compartment that moves people or items up and down along a shaft.
An example of an elevator is an electronic lifting device in a hotel located in a shaft and moving up and down on cables to get you from the first floor to the tenth floor.
Elevators in an office building.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- a person or thing that raises or lifts up
- ☆ a platform, cage, or boxlike structure suspended by motor-operated cables, for hoisting or lowering people or things, as in a building or mine
- ☆ a machine, usually consisting of buckets or scoops fastened to an endless belt or chain, for hoisting grain, etc., as in a warehouse
- ☆ grain elevator
- a pilot-controlled airfoil attached to the trailing edge of the tail section's horizontal stabilizers, used to make an aircraft go up or down and to control pitching
Origin: Ecclesiastical Late Latin one who raises up, a deliverer: see elevate
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. A platform or an enclosure raised and lowered in a vertical shaft to transport people or freight.b. The enclosure or platform with its operating equipment, motor, cables, and accessories.
- A movable control surface, usually attached to the horizontal stabilizer of an aircraft, that is used to produce motion up or down.
- A mechanism, often with buckets or scoops attached to a conveyor, used for hoisting materials.
- A granary equipped with devices for hoisting and discharging grain.
elevator - Computer Definition
Computer Desktop Encyclopedia
THIS DEFINITION IS FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY
All other reproduction is strictly prohibited without permission from the publisher.
© 1981-2014 The Computer Language Company Inc. All rights reserved.
elevator - Medical Definition
- A surgical instrument used to elevate tissues or to raise a sunken part, such as a depressed fragment of bone.
- A dental instrument used to remove teeth or parts of teeth that cannot be gripped with a forceps or to loosen teeth and roots before using forceps.