- The definition of a hoist is something used for lifting heavy things.
An example of hoist is a device used to help movers lift pianos.
- Hoist is defined as to raise or lift using a rope or a pulley.
An example of hoist is to pull up a sail on a sailboat.
A crane is used to hoist a basket in the air.
hoist definition by Webster's New World
Origin: ; from hoise plush unhistoric -t (; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps the past participle )
- an act of hoisting
- an apparatus for raising heavy things; elevator; tackle
- the perpendicular height of a sail or flag
- a group of signal flags displayed together on one line
hoist definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb hoist·ed, hoist·ing, hoists verb, transitive
- To raise or haul up with or as if with the help of a mechanical apparatus. See Synonyms at lift.
- To raise to one's mouth in order to drink: hoist a few beers.
- An apparatus for lifting heavy or cumbersome objects.
- The act of hoisting; a lift.
- Nautical a. The height or vertical dimension of a flag or of any square sail other than a course.b. A group of flags raised together as a signal.
Origin: Alteration of dialectal hoise, perhaps variant of Middle English hisse, heave!, possibly from Middle Dutch hissen, to haul.
- hoistˈer noun
Variant of hoise