- Uplift is the act of raising something or of influencing someone in a positive way that elevates him.
When cheerful support from a favorite teacher encourages the class to become happier and more inspired, this is an example of an uplift.
- Uplift is to raise something upwards, or to buoy someone mentally, spiritually or emotionally.
- When you tilt someone's chin up and force them to raise their head, this is an example of when you uplift.
- When you cheer someone up who is down, this is an example of when you uplift.
uplift definition by Webster's New World
- to lift up, or elevate
- to raise to a higher moral, social, or cultural level or condition
- the act or process of lifting up; elevation
- the act or process of raising to a higher moral, social, or cultural level
- any influence, movement, etc. intended to improve society morally, culturally, etc.
- a bra designed to lift and support the breasts
- a raising of land above the surrounding area
- land so raised
uplift definition by American Heritage Dictionary
transitive verb up·lift·ed, up·lift·ing, up·lifts
- To raise; elevate.
- To raise to a higher social, intellectual, or moral level or condition.
- To raise to spiritual or emotional heights; exalt: music that uplifts the spirit.
- The act, process, or result of raising or lifting up.
- An effort or a movement to improve social, moral, or intellectual standards.
- Geology An upheaval.