- The definition of setup is a relief pitcher who pitches right before the closer.
An example of a setup pitcher is a relief pitcher who does pitch the last balls of the game.
- Setup is defined as the way in which something is arranged, or a contest where the victory is predetermined because the two contestants are not evenly matched.
- An example of a setup is how food and drinks are arranged at a party.
- An example of a setup is when a strong debater is matched with a weak debater.
setup definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- the way in which something is set up; specif.,
- the plan, makeup, or arrangement, as of equipment, an organization, etc.
- the details of a situation, plan of action, etc.
- ☆ bodily posture; carriage
- ☆ the glass, ice, soda water, etc. provided for preparing an alcoholic drink
- ☆ Informal
- a contest deliberately arranged as an uneven match to result in an easy victory
- the contestant marked for defeat in such a contest
- an undertaking that is, or is purposely made, very easy, or a goal or result that is easy to achieve
- a person who is easily tricked
☆ Baseball of or having to do with a relief pitcher who specializes in pitching just before the closer
setup definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- The way in which something is constituted, arranged, or planned.
- The gathering and organization of the equipment needed for an operation, procedure, or task.
- a. Physical makeup; physique.b. Body posture or carriage, especially militarily erect bearing.
- a. Informal The collective ingredients, such as ice, mixers, and glasses, necessary for serving various alcoholic drinks. Often used in the plural.b. A table setting, as in a restaurant.
- A camera position, as for a particular shot in a scene being filmed.
- Slang a. A contest prearranged to result in an easy or faked victory.b. An endeavor intentionally made easy.c. A deceptive scheme, such as a fraud or hoax.
- A plan or strategy for a projected course of action.
- Sports A play or pass that creates a scoring opportunity.